Sunday, March 1, 2009

Birds of Paradise

It is the time of year that Birds of Paradise start to bloom in our area. Our yard in SJC had hundreds of them when we moved in, most of which I have removed to make way for plants that I prefer. I do think the flowers are lovely and a bit amusing, but the foliage really does nothing for me. They are pretty commonplace around here because they can live on practically no water all summer. They are the typical plant used in shopping center islands. Still, I do try to appreciate the few I have left growing near the front gates, which is easy to do when they bloom like this.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The BOP is so cheerful I put it on my desktop to enjoy all day.

Wayne Stratz said...

hmmm, I am covetous of your common plants, especially as a storm of too much snow approaches. I have seen great displays of these flowers inside at Longwood Gardens here in PA.

Unknown said...

I son't care how common they are for you, I gotta get me one!! beautiful.

Anonymous said...

They are so exotic & tropical! Just looking at them makes me feel a tad bit warmer. :)

Randy Emmitt said...

Envious of your bird of paradise. Can't believe that planter is not concrete. Been experimenting with concrete in the garden.

Anonymous said...

Being from a cold climate, I think your Bird of Paradise is anything but common! I was just admiring one in the greenhouse over the weekend. Funny how perspectives are different depending on the situation. Your garden is looking really good.