Thursday, April 8, 2010

Angel Trumpet Tree?

I know it is hard to see in this photo, but if you look at the very top (click on the photo to enlarge) you can see the flowers of an Angel Trumpet (brugmansia) shrub, or shall we say tree? This one of the first ones I ever planted in my Laguna garden many years ago and I was walking through the garden a few weeks ago and wondering where it went. Well, over the years it went up! I imagine it was looking for some sunlight as the surrounding trees grew and the only way to get it was head for the sky! I know these plants are a luxury for many people in northern climates, but they seem to do quite well here with little assistance. When I first grew them I read that they needed lots of water, to be fertilized weekly and special pruning. I fussed over the few I had for years until the rest of my chores in the garden made it impossible for me to devote so much time to them. They survive now with little attention and bloom like crazy! Thank goodness because I love their heady scent and charming flowers!

8 comments:

Ami said...

Good to know it thrives even without too much fuss :) I just planted one in my garden, it is growing large leaves, but no flower yet. I can not wait for its first bloom!

Aaerelon said...

It looks great. I started a few from seed about 2 months ago and recently transplanted them. I'm really excited for the first blooms!

A Garden of Threads said...

I like plants that grow without any fussing, but that plant is only an annual here. But, the seeds will overwinter in the ground and come back the next year. I just move the seedlings around in the spring.

Ever Green Tree said...

Would love to see a snap of it when in bloom.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I love these! Every year I drool over them at the nursery, but because they are annuals here I just can't spend that much money on one. How lucky to be able to grow them that large in your garden!

Darla said...

Mine is so small and covered in blooms, the blooms are literally going to be laying on the ground.

Kathleen said...

Oh you are so lucky Sheila! That brug is HUGE!!! I have been carting one in and out of the house for the last five years and I'd be embarrassed to show you it's size. Let's just say, it's not loving life the way yours is!!!

Lisa said...

I have two of these in the overgrown garden of our new-old house. They must thrive on neglect.

I've read that in colder climates you can cut them way back, dig them up and store them in the basement over the winter.