Friday, April 9, 2010

White Out

I found this variegated ligularia in a small independent nursery in our area called Ito Nursery. There was no name on it but it fits in fine in the Moonlight Garden in the shady areas where the soil stays cool and damp between waterings.
It is growing larger and this spring it appears that the new growth is coming out almost pure white! I'm assuming this is because of a lack of light, although you can see by the photos it does get some dappled sunlight. Whatever the cause, it is interesting and works for me!

9 comments:

tina said...

It is beautiful! It will glow nicely in your moonlight garden too.

P.S. Thanks for the tip about 'Black Holes'. I'm going to look for them because these things are terrible here.

Lona said...

It is beautiful Shelia. Love those variegated leaves with more white to them. Very pretty.

Jim Groble said...

Wonderful looking ligularia. I need to add it to our selection. This calls for a field trip for the kids in tustin. jim

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

always Beautiful whenever one or two differs from the rest of the leaves. Very contrasting! ~bangchik

Aaerelon said...

Very nice! I don't think I've seen a variegated variety before.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I've never seen a variegated one before, I love it! Do you know what color flowers it will have?

Sheila said...

Catherine, the flowers are yellow.

Tiziana said...

I already knew the Ligularia varied to seeing her in the garden of a friend
but I must say that I see your enjoying good health and especially the leaf
white is beautiful and very effect!

Andrew said...

Very nice, never seen a variegated Ligularia before!