Monday, April 12, 2010

Pacific Coast Iris

Although most of my many iris are the tall bearded variety, I also have some of the variety called Pacific Coast Iris (iris douglasii). These are sometimes referred to a "grass iris" because of their clumping, grass-like foliage
Their requirements are similar to most other iris, although I have read they can take some shade. As is the case with many native plants, they can be a little tricky to get established in the garden and I have not been wildly successful growing them over the years. If they do not do well in the garden bed where I have them outside the front door, I think I will move them to the street side garden which is better suited for native plants.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm growing these at my new-old house. So far, so good. They grow up in the woods of Oakland.

Becca's Dirt said...

Beautiful Iris's. I purchased my first Iris's this year and am so looking forward to some blooms. Hope it will bloom this year.

Aaerelon said...

Those iris are gorgeous - especially that first one. I've never heard of this variety before, thanks for sharing!

Pam's English Garden said...

That first blue iris is stunning! It is so different from any I have seen here in the NE. Love it.

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

I would like to get some of these started in my garden. I will have to look out for some. I love the blue one.

Jim Groble said...

Wonderful pics. The irises are very cool. jim

camissonia (Arleen) said...

Sheila, three years ago, I planted a Pacific Coast Iris under a Butterfly Bush (Buddleia davidii), but so far, just lots of leaves, and no flowers. Maybe the shade of the Buddleia is deterring bloom? It's also being watered by drip, and I'm wondering if it needs more or less water.

Sheila said...

Camissonia, my guess would be that it may not be getting enough light, which is the usually the main reason flowering plants don't bloom. Too much or little water would have more effects on the foliage is my guess. Good luck!