Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Plan? What Plan?

Like a hungry shopper going to a grocery store, this time of year I always make a list when I go to the nursery to keep me focused on what I need. This week I needed a grapefruit tree to go into a recently cleared planter. It was on my list with a few other necessities to fill in some gaps in the garden. This beautiful 'Goldflame' honeysuckle was not on the list, but who could resist this beautiful color and heavenly scent? I decided it would look lovely growing up a giant bird of paradise that was lacking some charm. Okay, so I deviated from the list a bit. Then...
... I saw this beautiful new introduction, a 'Knockout Rose' named 'Rainbow' and the color was a perfect compliment to the honeysuckle, so three of the roses ended up in my cart. Not too bad, but...
...when I got home I walked by my 'Moon Over Miami' roses which had just opened and decided the 'Rainbow' roses were just what I needed to go around these two shrubs to add a low growing compliment to the bed. So... I guess I need to go back to the nursery to get a few more of the 'Rainbow' roses to go with the honeysuckle! And the grapefruit tree looks great too!

13 comments:

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

I have the same trouble at the nursery. The list is so you don't forget what you need...but it's difficult to know what you want until you get there. I almost always come home with something I didn't plan to purchase. I'd say the 'Goldflame' honeysuckle would be difficult for anyone to resist. Your hummingbirds must love it!

Nola said...

I've never seen that variety of honeysuckle, it's absolutely beautiful. I garden that way too, see it, want it, get it. When I get home I ask myself "why did I get this, where will I plant it?"

Ami said...

lol. That sounded so familiar! But again, who can resist such beautiful plants? That honeysuckle and the knockout rose are very lovely! The color is delicious!

Lisa said...

List deviators unite! Honeysuckle and rose sounds wonderful together, bet it will smell heavenly too.

Becca's Dirt said...

I am a weakling when I go into the garden centers too - even with a list. I love your purchases. Awesome rose and honeysuckle.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Well you sure found some pretty flowers even if they weren't on your list. I left for the nursery and forgot my list the other day and of course came home with something that wasn't on the list either.

Signe said...

Who can resist such beauties. I love both the honeysuckle and the roses. Some times it is just impossible to stick to the list.

Jim Groble said...

Lists, lists, I don't need no stinking lists. Pat has the list and the money. jim

Wicked Gardener said...

OMG! Must have that honeysuckle!!!

Floridagirl said...

That's the way I nursery-shop and grocery-shop. It's more fun that way. My kids make fun of me because my detailed lists mean nothing. What a wonderful vision you have conjured up of the honeysuckle clamoring up a giant bird. I've never considered a vine on a bird. Sounds beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Those Rainbow knockouts are fabulous, I've spotted them before. Now to figure out where I could squeeze one in!

Linda said...

The honeysuckle looks absolutely irresistible. I couldn't have passed on that either. Is the fragrance stronger at dusk like the wild varieties?

Sheila said...

Linda, It is not quite as overwhelmingly fragrant as most honeysuckles and I'm not sure if it is stronger at dusk. I will have to check that out!