Thursday, April 15, 2010

Mixers



I have grown a white rice flower plant (ozothamnus diosmifolius) for many years in my Laguna Garden, although it has always been a rangy, rather unattractive shrub that needs constant pinching and pruning to look good. It is definitely a plant that is grown for its unusual flowers that do add interest to the mixed garden. When I found it in this soft pink color that went well with a bed I was planning in SJC I couldn't resist getting it (it also makes a nice cut flower) but to avoid the mistakes I made with it in Laguna, I planted it right next to abutilon plant in a similar shade of pink and the two grown intertwined gracefully. The awkward rangy look of the rice flower plant with its tiny leaves is disguised nicely by the complimentary abutilon with its lovely foliage and similar cultural needs and now everyone is happy!

2 comments:

Nola said...

I love it when plants growing alongside one another intermingle, it usually provides a really interesting look.

Turling said...

Intermingling. What a great idea.