Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Bold and the Beautiful

Typically I like my roses romantic. Soft pastels that are big and overblown or simple and sweet. I love soft yellow roses and have some very romantic red ones. These all go well with my cedar shingled cottage in Laguna, or in a stand-alone garden away from any structures.

One of the things that gardeners need to consider to make a garden feel "right" is what goes with the style of house that the garden surrounds, even if that means veering away from our own preferences. That is why my SJC garden is filled with some romantic roses, but next to the bold colored house, there are bold colored roses, like this 'Disneyland' rose.

It holds up well close to the gold and green colors of the stucco and trim. Climbing the trellis is 'Royal Sunset' another rose that blends well with the gold. The rose in the foreground of the bottom picture is 'Sheila's Perfume'. A complimentary rose to 'Disneyland' chosen not for its color, but because everyone should have a namesake rose in their garden!

4 comments:

Ami said...

Stunning colored roses! Love your choice of the color, and how cool to find a rose with your own name?!

azplantlady said...

Hello Sheila,

Wow! I love the colors of the Disneyland rose. But, I shouldn't be surprised....it is one of my favorite places to visit :-)

The Redneck Rosarian said...

Wow! This one will add a punch of color to any garden. I have not seen this one available in AL. It's worth looking for.....

"Daffodil Planter" Charlotte Germane said...

Yum! Good point about colors that work with the house, not just with one's own preferences.