Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Glowing Foliage

This is one of my favorite garden beds in SJC. Of course it has many of my favorite flowers and favorite colors, but I think one of the things that I really like is the bright shades of foliage. There are many hues of green here and many textures, but the lightest, brightest ones steal the show. The large pale green shrub at the top right is helichrysum petiolare 'Limelight'. The almost-yellow ground hugging plant to the bottom right is Creeping Jenny (lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea'). The three spiky plants across the bottom of the photo is Golden Japanese Forest Grass (hakonechloa). The bright green spot at the top left is a chartreuse cultivator of spiderwort (tradescantia). Even on a gray day like we had yesterday, this garden glows!

6 comments:

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

I love the glow. Nice combinations.

Amy said...

It glows beautifully!

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

I love garden beds that have a fabulous foliage structure. So pleasing to the eye, even when the plants aren't in bloom. Lovely.

Becca's Dirt said...

Beautiful. The contrast in leaves is lovely.

Unknown said...

Those are many of the plants we use up here in our wet shady areas! I couldn't live without them since we have a lot of grey days around here!

Nan Ondra said...

What a lovely planting, Sheila; the foliage colors work so well together. I enjoyed reading through all of your other groundcover-tagged posts too. Thanks so much for sharing the link for this month's Design Workshop!