Monday, May 17, 2010

Fedex Gardening

I had read somewhere about this variegated acanthus and I was enamored immediately! I am always on the lookout for variegated foliage that has a pure white variegation to it for my Moonlight Garden. Even better that it is a big-leaved shade plant, another type I am always on the lookout for. I ordered two from Heronswood Nursery in Pennsylvania and they arrived in the mail last week. Pretty small plants for a hefty price, but they are lovely! We are so lucky to have great nurseries in our area, both large and small, that I rarely feel the need to resort to mail order for live plants (bulbs and tubers are a different story), but I had not seen these around here. They are in the ground in a spot that is cool and damp. Let's see how they do.

5 comments:

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Stunning leaves even peeking out of the box. Can't wait to see it established.

Amy said...

I bet it will look very pretty in your garden. I love the colors!

VW said...

I wish I could grow acanthus here - even though it can be a thug. Because we have limited nurseries around here, I often order plants by mail. The small size is usually disappointing, but it's worth it to get just the right cultivar.

Floridagirl said...

Those are beautiful leaves! I don't have great nurseries nearby and, for some reason, always have bad luck with mail order. (poor quality, wrong plants, too small, etc.) Maybe it's just as well, since I'd probably become dangerously addicted to plant shopping if I ever found a good mail order nursery. Your plants look absolutely beautiful!

healingmagichands said...

I love mail order plants. Around here if I want anything other than the very ordinary fare offered by big box stores, I have to order them. Even our local nursery is boring in the extreme.

I have had a lot of good luck with mail order, I'll bet your acanthus will do just fine.