Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Quality Over Quantity


One of the hardest things I have to do in my gardens is to make up my mind what iris to order every year. There are so many beautiful ones to choose from that it is a mind boggling task to narrow it down to a few favorites, at least for me. Should I get a bunch of them or one or two really fabulous new introductions? It is the nature of the iris industry that there are a few new introductions that are brought out every year and the cost on them can run anywhere from $35 to $75 for a single rhizome. That is because they are so easy to propagate that the rare become common very quickly. The ones that I coveted many years ago that I could not afford are now in the $4 bins. Some years I go for collections which are put together by the growers and offered at a discount. That is fun because someone else is making the decision for you and it is like opening a present when they bloom. Some years I go on 'kicks' like one time that I ordered all the very, very dark purple ones. One time I ordered only rebloomers. The iris in the picture above was a new introduction I purchased a few years ago that had never bloomed. I had forgotten where it was planted and watched every new iris open in anticipation of my 'Paul Black'. What a thrill it was this morning to go out and find 'him' there to greet me!

Ed. Note: This iris has a wonderful scent too!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I am always amazed when friends don't understand how I can purchase plants without seeing them in bloom, or even worse, when they are tiny. I couldn't afford them otherwise!

Your iris bloom is absolutely beautiful and was worth the wait!

Becca's Dirt said...

'Paul Black Iris' is a beautiful deep color. I have added my first iris this year. Can't wait to see it bloom

Lona said...

Shelia what a beauty. I love he dark color. It is so hard to choose with so many pretty ones coming out. I like the idea of rebloomers but only have one new one.
I cannot wait to see more of yours.

Goneferalinidaho said...

Wonderful color!

The Redneck Rosarian said...

Love this iris!

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

I had no idea what an iris can cost. I've gotten all of mine from friends. That blue is amazing!!! Worth waiting for.

healingmagichands said...

Wow! That is a beautiful iris. I love them myself, and I tend to get them as passalongs, which is the absolutely most economical way to acquire any plant! I also have gone "on pilgrimage" to Hornbaker Gardens, which is a nursery in Illinois, and ordered iris rhizomes from their fields. That's always fun, and it is great to see them blooming in person to pick them out.

Thanks for sharing that stunning Paul Black.

Louvregirl said...

That iris is stunning.
lg