Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Spotty

There are few plants with more interesting foliage than the Spotted Leopard Plant (Ligularia sachalinensis) shown here at the top of the picture. It goes well here in a partially shaded spot with the 'Stella de Oro' Daylily (Hemerocallis), which is a nice color echo. Whenever a novice gardener that is not familiar with the ligularia comes through the garden I have to tell them that this plant is very healthy, the spots are not from insect or disease damage. Bold and fun, this plant likes a cool, moist location, will wilt in the sun, but bounce right back as soon as the shade returns. Busy plant!

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

I like it too! Very nice contrast. It gives light in a different way. Nice choice!

healingmagichands said...

I like variegated foliage too. I have a peace lily that is variegated (a house plant here) which was given to me by a person whose husband hated it because he thought it always "looked sick." People are so different, aren't they?

Floridagirl said...

Haha! I have a caladium that some people think is diseased. And I find it quite striking due to its spots. All iin the eye of the beholder. Your ligularia and daylily do make a nice combo.

Turling said...

HA! That's what I need. Healthy plants that look diseased to match the diseased one's I have. Excellent!

Carol said...

That is a very beautiful photo! Gorgeous plants and blooms. I love the spots!

jahanzaib said...

I really liked your article. Keep up the good work.
send flowers germany

flower delivery germany